How to Manage Autistic Meltdowns Effectively
Autistic meltdowns happen anytime when the mind or body of an individual feels overwhelmed. And this may appear without warning. So, if you have a child diagnosed with autism, you need to always prepare yourself whenever they have a meltdown, especially if you are in public.
As an autism service provider in Maryland, we’ve compiled a list of what you should do when your child is having an autistic meltdown:
- Be empathetic and try to make them feel safe and loved.
- Break out your sensory toolkit and teach them coping strategies once they’re calm.
- Focus on your child and do not pay attention to bystanders.
- Seek help from experts to assist you from time to time.
- Eliminate punishments or do anything that can make them feel ashamed, anxious, or afraid.
American Caregivers, Inc. is a home care agency in Silver Spring, Maryland that provides autism spectrum services and adult daycare services. We specialize in caring for persons who have autism and other developmental disabilities.
So, whether it’s your child or aging parent who needs our assistance, you can count on our caregivers to meet all their specific care needs and achieve a better quality of life when they are under our care. Our dedication to quality is reflected in the services and staff that we maintain. We only hire highly qualified professionals and deliver our services with kindness and dignity.